THE RALEIGH TWENTY

Your ever-expanding web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
and other classic small-wheel bicycles.

Forums

Forum Home > New Members > refurb project hope I can handle it

vinkbird

Hello from Ottawa. I am new to this but have just picked up a couple of twenty's in need of some major work. This all started last year when my 14 year old daughter picked up a used twenty (supercycle) and just loved the ride. I could not keep up to her. Well when she purchased I did some googling and came across tons of pics of refurbed twentys and got a little hooked. So here I am with two that are not rideable and am in for a winter project. The first is a brown Raleigh Twenty foldable and the second is just called a Raleigh folder... not sure if this counts as a twenty. My plan is to restore the brown and tweak the green as it is in worse shape. As I said I am new to this so any helpful tips would be appreciated. I think I will start with simply researching around this great site. ( sorry no pics yet, I have misplaced my camera)

August 24, 2016 at 3:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

david james

welcome, there's nothing someone with patience and a set of basic tools can't do to these superb old bikes. most of the info is on here.

--

August 24, 2016 at 4:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ikara Oz

vinkbird at August 24, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Hello from Ottawa. I am new to this but have just picked up a couple of twenty's in need of some major work. This all started last year when my 14 year old daughter picked up a used twenty (supercycle) and just loved the ride. I could not keep up to her. Well when she purchased I did some googling and came across tons of pics of refurbed twentys and got a little hooked. So here I am with two that are not rideable and am in for a winter project. The first is a brown Raleigh Twenty foldable and the second is just called a Raleigh folder... not sure if this counts as a twenty. My plan is to restore the brown and tweak the green as it is in worse shape. As I said I am new to this so any helpful tips would be appreciated. I think I will start with simply researching around this great site. ( sorry no pics yet, I have misplaced my camera)

Welcome aboard Vinkbird,

You should have tons of fun doing up the TWENTY......  I know l do! :)

Looking forward to pics so we can comment....By the way, people still use 'cameras'???  :)  Only joking....l recently wrote a song titled:

'Kodak Karma Queen' So who am l Kodak kidding!!!

Cheerios

!nK

August 24, 2016 at 10:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Grumpy Old Squid
Administrator

Raleigh Twentys were distributed as folders and non-folders under several different names but the one distinguishing characteristic of them all is the "H" frame. If your bike has that frame then it is a Twenty.  If you look through the gallery there are hundreds of different Twentys going from original factory configuration to all sorts of modifications including motorized and even a rocket powered Twenty.  Feel free to modify at will but share with us here what you're doing if you think your bike is worth it.  Share even if you don't think it's worth it, someone else probably will think it is.

--

Craig S Werner

EMCS(SS), USN (Ret.) The "Grumpy Old Squid"

August 25, 2016 at 9:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vinkbird

Ikara Oz at August 24, 2016 at 10:58 PM

vinkbird at August 24, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Welcome aboard Vinkbird,

You should have tons of fun doing up the TWENTY......  I know l do! :)

Looking forward to pics so we can comment....By the way, people still use 'cameras'???  :)  Only joking....l recently wrote a song titled:

'Kodak Karma Queen' So who am l Kodak kidding!!!

Cheerios

!nK

Yes cameras and Twenties... old school.

So being old school I am having a tough time with the pics... showing up much too big. 

You can check out a few starters on my new twenty page: 

https://sites.google.com/site/nancystwenty/photo-gallery

August 25, 2016 at 12:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vinkbird

https://sites.google.com/site/nancystwenty/photo-gallery" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://https://sites.google.com/site/nancystwenty/photo-gallery

so here are some pics of the bikes I picked up. :) Got them for $60

Also saw a beautiful shopper with everything(light, basket, pump) in mint condition for $750 I think this is too much though. It was pretty beautiful.

August 25, 2016 at 12:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vinkbird

OK so I figured out the pics and have created an album in the gallery...yay old school wins. Check it out.

August 25, 2016 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

chris667

Those are lovely.

Really, all they need is a clean, and a regrease, then you're ready for summer fun!

August 25, 2016 at 4:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ikara Oz

vinkbird at August 25, 2016 at 1:47 PM

OK so I figured out the pics and have created an album in the gallery...yay old school wins. Check it out.

Great pair of bikes for your winter project!

We should all go 'Old School'......my iPad won't play the game! Still to work out how to get photos up using it....someone around 10 would know! :)

Fancy that, the two folders both have different transfers....the brown TWENTY looks early, if only going by the RSW style chain-ring with the extra 'flutes'.

Should be great to 'photograph' the various stages......

l note the bikes run, what appears to be 406 rims.....that and the way the stays on the rear of the guards are positioned give the illusion of a much wider tyre to mudguard 'gap'. Must look at one here to see what exactly is going on.....maybe l need my eyes looking at?  :)

Cheerios

!nK

August 25, 2016 at 4:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

2whls3spds
Administrator

She will have to check the hub dates, but I am betting 1972 on the Brown one and 1980 on the green. Interesting that they both have painted fenders.

Both look to be pretty much complete and just need a thorough cleanup and lube.

Aaron

August 26, 2016 at 5:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

vinkbird

So the hub on the brown one has the oil plug inconveniently added on top of the date stamp, but It looks like 71 11.(pic added to my gallery) from what I have read this means it is from November 71 and therfore considered a 72. The Green is much more clearly marked as a 76  1. 

August 26, 2016 at 2:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vinkbird

vinkbird at August 26, 2016 at 2:59 PM

So the hub on the brown one has the oil plug inconveniently added on top of the date stamp, but It looks like 71 11.(pic added to my gallery) from what I have read this means it is from November 71 and therfore considered a 72. The Green is much more clearly marked as a 76  1. 

August 26, 2016 at 3:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ikara Oz

vinkbird at August 26, 2016 at 2:59 PM

Vinkbird,

Just out of curiosity [ l'm always running short of curiosity, lest l be a cat] , what's the serial number on your bike? Being that early, the number will not be on the back of the seat post....probably on the LH rear axel plate?

Someone who is more familiar with the early breed will be able to deciefer build date or approx. age....maybe you!  

The green bike can be date easy enough....it's number will be on the rear, and usually starts with N------------

Cheerios

!nK

August 26, 2016 at 8:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vinkbird

so it has taken some time for me to get working on the bikes, such is the life of a mother with two teenagers to truck around, anyway I finally got to work on the green and found the number listed on the left rear of the frame 3160422. I have also added some new pics of my progress to my photo album. yay.

June 18, 2017 at 8:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

melofelo

Great pair of twenties that should clean up very nicely .  love the handlebars on the brown version, haven't see those before. Enjoy the restoration!

--

June 19, 2017 at 6:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

vinkbird

Yes they are pretty neat, not quite as tall as the bars on a chopper but I may have to add a banana seat to that one :) maybe that's why the seat is missing, loved my purple banana seat bike as a kid.

June 19, 2017 at 8:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.