THE RALEIGH TWENTY

Your ever-expanding web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
and other classic small-wheel bicycles.

Forums

Forum Home > New Members > Hi from Holland!

jjgeers

Or do you prefer 'The Netherlands'...? oh well.

I'm Jasper Joppe Geers, living my life in Schijndel in the south east of Holland, and since a few days a proud owner of a genuine Twenty! Took a while to find myself one though, over here the Raleigh Comfort seems to be the biggest buy and sell folding bike, and thus i have three of them.

The 'Twenty' i got is a Stowaway model, in the well known olive green metallic color, and over the years a few things happened to it.

First of all it has been looked after very well, secondly the original stem and handlebars are missing, and replaced with something very sad, and last but not least, the (kick?) stand is missing as well.

But i fell in love with it straight away. Riding a bike here in the area is just a treat, and a Twenty is all you need! I had to get used to the pedals though. Somehow i feel the axle in them quite well. 

I will explore the site and forums here in a moment, but so far i've seen original twenties only in the green and reddish brown color. Are they the only colours or have there been others as well?

Thanks for reading me! :)

Cheers,

JJ Geers

June 3, 2016 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

2whls3spds
Administrator

Hi JJ, welcome to the forums. The Twentys came in a wide range of colours. I have seen: Green, Blue, White, and Brown. I am thinking there may have been a few other colors too, like Red Yellow and possibly Silver.

Aaron

June 3, 2016 at 5:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ikara Oz

G'Day jj......here in Oz (Australia if you prefer).  :)

We were lucky in some ways to get a rainbow assortment or colours....l have a '76 TWENTY Folder in 'Elvis Presley Cadilac Pink' which my partner rides when l am on the blue '74 folder. Between you and me, along with everyone reading this, it's one of my favorite colours. We also have a fixed '77 Black TWENTY which is quite rare here DownUnder....l have only seen one, but l am sure they're out there in the 'wild' [ Roaming Free..... ]

Cheerios Amigos

!nK

June 4, 2016 at 4:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OldBiker

Hi Jasper - welcome!

As has been said already, there were many colours including the purple, see here:

http://raleightwenty.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=201890969

Max

--

Altogether elsewhere, vast herds of reindeer, move across, miles and miles of golden moss, silently, and very fast.

June 4, 2016 at 7:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The Grumpy Old Squid
Administrator

J.J.,

Welcome to our happy and helppful community.  Feel free to join in the conversations of the FORUM threads.  If you have questions, technical or otherwise, that have to do with the Twenty under its various names this is the place to ask them.  There isn't much that hasn't been addressed in one form or another by one member or another.

Again, welcome and "Holland" or "The Netherlands" it's up to you, remember, "A rose, by any other name would smell as sweet."

--

Craig S Werner

EMCS(SS), USN (Ret.) The "Grumpy Old Squid"

June 4, 2016 at 10:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jjgeers

Hey thank you all for the messages, great to know that green and brown are surely not the only colours then? It seems to me i still know nothing at all about the Twenty, except the fact that there are quite a few here in Europe, and at least one very lucky guy in Australia who has a pink one! Cheers to that.

And Max, thank you for the link, but where they genuine factory colours? Or is it just that only few colours were export models?

Cheers everyone!

JJ.

June 4, 2016 at 10:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

OldBiker

jjgeers at June 4, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Hey thank you all for the messages, great to know that green and brown are surely not the only colours then? It seems to me i still know nothing at all about the Twenty, except the fact that there are quite a few here in Europe, and at least one very lucky guy in Australia who has a pink one! Cheers to that.

And Max, thank you for the link, but where they genuine factory colours? Or is it just that only few colours were export models?

Cheers everyone!

JJ.

Hi Jasper,

Yes, this was a genuine factory colour; you'll find other pics of these in the gallery, in fact this months Cover Photo started out that colour:

http://raleightwenty.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=199982714

and here's another:

http://raleightwenty.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=199636710

Max

--

Altogether elsewhere, vast herds of reindeer, move across, miles and miles of golden moss, silently, and very fast.

June 4, 2016 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jjgeers

Thankx Max!

Think i'll have to take some pics of my twenty as well.

Even though it is just the bronze green colour. ;)

June 4, 2016 at 1:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

2whls3spds
Administrator

Green is good!

Aaron

June 4, 2016 at 1:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jjgeers

Ah! Don't do this to me, haha. really jealous now...

My next wish is the RSW like that one in the front. For me it just needs brooks grips and saddle though...

Thanks for the picture Aaron!

JJ

June 4, 2016 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

2whls3spds
Administrator

jjgeers at June 4, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Ah! Don't do this to me, haha. really jealous now...

My next wish is the RSW like that one in the front. For me it just needs brooks grips and saddle though...

Thanks for the picture Aaron!

JJ

Here is another one for you. This bike was made in Weesp, Holland by Magneet.

It is a Columbia Commuter III

I have right good sized collection of bikes. The bulk are 3 speeds, probably 7 are small wheeled Just love bikes in general, wish I lived somewhere that was a bit more bike friendly.

Aaron

June 4, 2016 at 2:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sprockit

Hi Jasper, and welcome.

Well done for finding the bike.

The Twenty was available as either a folding or non-folding bike, and under no less than six brand names - Raleigh, BSA, Triumph, Sun, Phillips and Hercules.

I have a 3-speed Triumph Twenty folding bike, and a single-speed Hercules Hunter non-folding bike, and they are both the same colour of blue.

Have a good look around on here - there are some amazing bikes!

--

Pennine Pedaller

June 4, 2016 at 2:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jjgeers

Hi Pennine, and thanks so much for your reply.

Yes, i've discovered some other great twenty's here today, especially in colours i never expected! :)

It's great to learn about my own now. And it seems a rather genuine one, unrestored, untweaked,

only the stand is missing and the handlebars are not original, like i said before.

A Triumph Twenty you say? They must be even rarer these days, don't think i'll ever find one over here in Holland.. :(

Would be great though!

Cheers!

JJ

June 4, 2016 at 2:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sprockit

Hi JJ,

Yes, a Triumph Twenty - it was the cover photo in June 2015.

I was doing some cycle training a few weeks ago and a young lady turned up with an identical bike to mine - a blue Triumph Twenty!

Keep looking, and you never know what you may find!

Cheers,

Sprockit

--

Pennine Pedaller

June 6, 2016 at 6:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Kearney

Hello All, My name is Jim,live in a wee little village in Maine,USA. Been messing about with multi gear bikes for well over fifty years. Just can't get enough of them. Found my first twenty this past winter,completely took it apart and rebuilt it. Installed a stronglite headset that was doing nothing else around my shop. Found an older gentleman with a bike shop who knows olde bikes and had the die to thread the top of the steering tube and he pressed in the new headset. Rides great no hands. Got some alloy BMX wheels to spoke up. A NOS Wrights leather saddle,aW3N. Not a Brooks,but close. New cables,new Kenda tires,and off to the road. Lots of miles already and am going to put drops on and a 18 tooth rear cog. I have hills and am not as young as I once was. In a short time I can truly say,"Love this bike"!! Thinking about two cogs in the rear and a deraileur. Did this in 1962 on a Raligh Sports,worked well. Has any one here tried that on a twenty? Looking forward to learning lots from all you that have ridden twenties for years.

June 12, 2016 at 6:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jjgeers

Hi Aaron, that is a wonderful magneet you have there. Over here this type is called 'ABC', not sure were 'Columbia Commuter' comes from?

June 18, 2016 at 5:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

2whls3spds
Administrator

jjgeers at June 18, 2016 at 5:59 PM

Hi Aaron, that is a wonderful magneet you have there. Over here this type is called 'ABC', not sure were 'Columbia Commuter' comes from?

It was made by Magneet and sold by under the Columbia brand name in the USA. I think they only sold them for a couple of years. The one I have is in almost perfect condition. 

Aaron

June 18, 2016 at 6:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

arnelv

http://raleightwenty.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=192256598

My former Raleigh Stowaway .

June 19, 2016 at 11:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

jjgeers

And why on earth do you say 'former?' You didn't sell it did you? :)

June 19, 2016 at 11:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mike Spiers

Sprockit at June 6, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Hi JJ,

Yes, a Triumph Twenty - it was the cover photo in June 2015.

I was doing some cycle training a few weeks ago and a young lady turned up with an identical bike to mine - a blue Triumph Twenty!

Keep looking, and you never know what you may find!

Cheers,

Sprockit

I also have a blue (metallic) folding Triumph, a TM20 so I believe.  All original and unrestored but in good usuable and undecayed condition, though it has a lot of 'patina' shall we say.  I've changed a few bits (but kept all the original ones nach) just to make it rideable for me e.g. low bars + tall rider = bruised knees.  I'm a regular cyclist with a local social cycling club (oh alright then, we go out on Wednesday nights, ride a few miles and then go to the pub) and it's now in a fit state to keep pace with the 'proper' bikes (there's a few carbon-fibre enthusiasts and two or three Bromptonists among them.)  I still have the Ever Ready cycle lamps that it came with and I've upgraded them with replacement LED bulbs from the Far East which gives modern lighting but retains classic appearance.  I like my 20 :)

--

February 16, 2017 at 10:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.