THE RALEIGH TWENTY

Your ever-expanding web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
and other classic small-wheel bicycles.

Forums

Forum Home > New Members > quill and handle bar for r20

R20del

Hi guys im new, here I recently bough a r20 frame, Im in the process of buying new components,  I would like to get a modern new quill , and handlebars, handle bars shouldnt be a problem, I just dont know where I can get a quill,  and also need to know the bar diameter to fit to the original fork tube. any help wlll be apreciated.

thanks

August 12, 2017 at 1:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

R20del

Hi Raleigh  2O Community, happy to say I finish my masterpiece.. here, a before and after picture. for my raleigh 20, more details to come

February 22, 2018 at 5:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamiya

Steerer tube's cavity accepts a 7/8" stem &/or 22.2mm.

OK necrothread hijack time :)

I have a R20 test mule, i'm trying out all kinds of wierdo bolt-ons.

Have tried some vintage dropbars, original roadbike stem is very short & pokes forward about 90mm.

Handling is wierd & i could barely ride it in a straight line... so i swapped it for a taller adjustable stem.

When angle is pointing all the way down/forwards, still wierd... so i raised it near vertical... ok better now.

Is it just me? (Never ridden dropbars before, ever)

Anything else i should try before ditching the drops?

oh & one more thing... flat pedals from same donor bike, they're one-sided (one flat side to put foot on)... but that "up" side keeps flipping upsidedown from gravity.

Short of adding a plumbbob to weigh the underside down... any oldtimer trick i'm missing here? :/

(bars & pedals stolen off a donor "10spd" which is probably 30-35yo. It had shimano levers on the stem)

October 18, 2018 at 7:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mr. E

Pedals intended for use with toe clips?

If this is the case, the surplus material (weight) removed from the non-platform side makes them top-heavy, even without clips fitted. If your stem and bar combination is leading to handling issues, I'd be wary of clips...

October 18, 2018 at 4:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamiya

Did think of toeclips but can't see any place made for them to attach on... it's just a plain plastic platform, one sided. 

Time to swap bars & pedals :) dragged home a moustache bar today; gotta go get more ladies pedals. Dropbar levers got their own style cabling, hate unwrapping bar tape so I'll just unbolt them off all together & do a fresh rewire for the frame.

October 19, 2018 at 8:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamiya

Swapped pedals back to regular/normal.

inspected the takeoffs... managed to find identifier "VP393" :P they're pretty scuffed, probably bits broken off - no cage, no straps etc. I wandered past the windows of some fancy bike store with carbon roadbikes.. yep their demonstrators have these black plastic pedals on... :) 

They're probably like reflectors & bells... things our laws make bike shops bolt on before sale to make it "roadworthy" so they can legally sell it.

Before buyer yanks them all off and tosses them in the bin by the front door as he goes out ;) 

October 30, 2018 at 3:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.