THE RALEIGH TWENTY

Your ever-expanding web resource for the Raleigh Twenty
and other classic small-wheel bicycles.

Forums

Forum Home > New Members > Hi from Wales

brian

Hi forum,

My names Brian and i live in West Wales just inland of Aberystwyth, I'm currently off the bike following an achillies tendon problem from late last year which has given me time to do a couple of long awaited projects (hence why I'm here)

Project one is a moulton standard mk1 which should end up being not quite standard.

Project two is an as yet undated R20 Stowaway which will be our (shared with my wife Charlotte) camping bike.

(Dating the bike - It's pale light blue with an attractive sans serif font on the transfers, the AW is just stamped 7 !!)

Charlotte and I like to go walking and a R20 folder should be perfect to nip down to the shops and trundle around on talking photos etc

The plan is to lighten the bike somewhat (I had a R20 as a teenager so remember the weight) and bring other things up to date, so far I've sourced a pair of TA vis5 cranks to go with a old criterium spider I had that was doing nothing, a pair of forks that have proper drop outs brazed in and a pair of Weinmann 605 brakes oh and one of those long alloy seatposts from bankrupt bike parts.

I'll also be buying some rims soon and after looking at info here and for the price the Sun ICI rims is number one on the short list, have yet to decide on a front hub but the rear will be a SA FW with double sprockets which should give me somewhere near 25" to 90" (which is fairly mandatory for where I live being in the Cambrian mountains.

I'll be uploading some photographs as and when things get near or finished.

Other bikes are Dave Yates fast tourer, a '93 Diamond Back Apex and a '57 Raleigh Lenton Mk3 which I occasionally take touring.

Anyway, just here to say hello and also to praise the fantastic resource this forum and web site is. happy days.

Brian.

June 1, 2018 at 2:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The Grumpy Old Squid
Administrator

Brian,

Welcome to our website, I hope you find it entertaining and useful.

When you get going on your R20 project please post some pictures so we all can see how things are progressing.

Again, welcome.

--

Craig S Werner

EMCS(SS), USN (Ret.) The "Grumpy Old Squid"

June 1, 2018 at 11:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamiya

Hello Brian & welcome. 

Might i I ask did you encounter any captcha issues whilst submitting your new thread/post?

What device/OS/browser did you use, just out of curiosity?

(some of us are suffering reCAPTCHA V1 closed down issues, can't post new threads. But can reply)

June 5, 2018 at 6:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

The Grumpy Old Squid
Administrator

Tamiya at June 5, 2018 at 6:24 AM

Hello Brian & welcome. 

Might i I ask did you encounter any captcha issues whilst submitting your new thread/post?

What device/OS/browser did you use, just out of curiosity?

(some of us are suffering reCAPTCHA V1 closed down issues, can't post new threads. But can reply)

Tamiya,

A good request for info, maybe it can help.

--

Craig S Werner

EMCS(SS), USN (Ret.) The "Grumpy Old Squid"

June 5, 2018 at 12:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

brian

Indeed i did encounter issues, for the first few days after registering, posting was a no go but that might have been my fault, on the last and successful attempt I typed in the exact (faded) wording in the captcha box so i just presumed I hadn't understood the captcha app (having never come across it before)

My specs are PC running Vista using firefox.

Also thank you for the welcomes.

Brian

June 16, 2018 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamiya

Interesting, thanks for the reply. 

sadly no faded wording that I can see here :( it's only

[img]http://www.gstatic.com/recaptcha/images/v1_unsupported.png[/img]

June 20, 2018 at 4:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Total-Newbie

Hello I can't post a new topic either :( 

--

Clueless Newbie! :D

June 21, 2018 at 4:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamiya

Total-Newbie at June 21, 2018 at 4:38 AM

Hello I can't post a new topic either :( 

Welcome & rest assured it's not you, it's this damned webserver &/or its template coding.

June 21, 2018 at 7:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.